1. What is the definition of massage?
Massage is a manual or mechanical manipulation achieved by rubbing, kneading, or other methods that stimulate metabolism and circulation.
2. What are some benefits of massage?
3. What are five facial massage contraindications?
Massage contraindications include contagious diseases; inflamed acne; sunburn, windburn, irritation, severe redness; sensitive skin; open lesions, cuts, sores, abrasions; skin disorders; severe, uncontrolled hypertension; and uncontrolled diabetes.
4. At what time during the facial can you discuss possible contraindications to facial massage?
Before performing a service that includes a facial massage, consult the client’s intake form. During the consultation, acknowledge and discuss any medical conditions that may contraindicate a facial massage.
5. On which areas of the body are estheticians typically allowed to perform a massage?
Estheticians can perform massage only on the face, neck, shoulders, and décolleté.
6. List the five main types of basic massage movements.
7. Define acupressure.
Acupressure is a massage technique that consists of applying pressure to specific points of the body (acupressure points).
8. What is manual lymph drainage?
Manual lymph drainage (MLD) massage uses gentle, rhythmic pressure on the lymphatic system to detoxify and remove waste materials from the body more quickly.