1. What is the definition of massage?
Massage is a manual or mechanical manipulation achieved by rubbing, kneading, or other methods that stimulate metabolism and circulation.
2. What are some benefits of massage?
3. What are five facial massage contraindications?
Massage contraindications include contagious diseases; inflamed acne; sunburn, windburn, irritation, severe redness; sensitive skin; open lesions, cuts, sores, abrasions; skin disorders; severe, uncontrolled hypertension; and uncontrolled diabetes.
4. At what time during the facial can you discuss possible contraindications to facial massage?
Before performing a service that includes a facial massage, consult the client’s intake form. During the consultation, acknowledge and discuss any medical conditions that may contraindicate a facial massage.
5. On which areas of the body are estheticians typically allowed to perform a massage?
Estheticians can perform massage only on the face, neck, shoulders, and décolleté.
6. List the five main types of basic massage movements.
7. Define acupressure.
Acupressure is a massage technique that consists of applying pressure to specific points of the body (acupressure points).
8. What is manual lymph drainage?
Manual lymph drainage (MLD) massage uses gentle, rhythmic pressure on the lymphatic system to detoxify and remove waste materials from the body more quickly.
9. In what direction do you massage on the muscles?
Movement goes from the insertion point toward the origin. The origin is the fixed attachment on one end of the muscle, bone, or tissue. To avoid undue pressure and stress, it is important to massage the muscles using outward strokes. This is because inward strokes can weaken the skin, causing premature folds and wrinkles. With outward strokes, the skin is not pulled and muscles are not weakened.
10. Why should you always have at least one hand on the client after you begin a facial massage?
Maintaining contact gives the client a sense of physical continuity that is very soothing and calming.
11. How many times should you repeat the massage movements?
Most movements are repeated three to six times before moving on to the next one.